Add a review about the Church of St. Justin

One of the oldest churches in Germany, which conceals a lot of treasures and masterpieces of art in its walls, is sheltered in the Frankfurt district of Höchst and does not at all pretend to have such a loud status . However, its history is more than rich : built in 850 g ., the church of Sv . Justina served as the main temple and Benedictines, and antonyms, moreover, in the guise of the basilica, the elements of Carolingian architecture are clearly traced . Each generation left the temple something for itself for memory, so that the "mix" is higher ate the bizarre and rich, the more interesting it is to look at it with your own eyes .

The Church of St. Justin is the oldest building in the city, and despite the fact that it was built in 850, its appearance remained practically unchanged. In the Middle Ages it was expanded due to the Gothic choirs, the altar and the side chapels, and also painted with frescoes. All other "innovations" concerned only the decoration of the temple: a baroque cross appeared, an empire chair (1812), figures of saints from a tree.

As soon as the basilica was erected, one of the most significant scientists of his time, Archbishop of Mainz Raban Mavr personally consecrated the church. Another important milestone in the life of the temple is the synod of all the vicars, which took place in its walls in 1024. It was attended by all the dioceses subordinate to Mainz, including St. Godehard of Hildesheim.

In 1090 the church of St. Justin was given to the Benedictines of St. Alban. And 200 years later, Justin's relics were transferred to the main monastery in Mainz. Since that time St. Margaret is considered to be the patroness of the church
One of the oldest churches in Germany, which conceals a lot of treasures and masterpieces of art in its walls, is sheltered in the Frankfurt district of Höchst and does not pretend to be in such a high profile at all.

Benedictines not so long served in the temple - already in 1419 they were forced to leave it and after 22 years the basilica was "attributed" to the Order of the Anthony of Rosdorf at Hanau. The monks of this order were famous for the care and treatment of patients, they were fortunate enough to own a beautiful temple until the secularization of 1803. And to this day one can see a part of the historical monastery of antonies that is located next to the church and is now used as a dwelling. Inside the temple, special attention should be paid to the ancient and tree-covered baroque throne, which was executed by the talented master Johann Weiss in 1726. This is one of the most significant altars in the Diocese of Limburg. On the left there was St. Joseph with the baby Jesus, and to the right - St. Augustine's teacher of the church. Under the sun - the patroness of the temple Margarita, one of the fourteen helper in trouble.

If you believe the legend, one day she crossed the terrible dragon with the sign of the cross. In 305 St. Margarita was publicly decapitated for faith.

But perhaps the most significant work of art in the church of St. Justine is the figure of the founder of the Order of Anthony of 1485, made of wood in natural size, located in the eastern part of the chapel . After examining the temple, take another 10-15 walks in the flower garden with aromatic herbs, which is broken right after the basilica - you will not regret it.

Address: Justinusplatz, 3.